Saturday, May 1, 2010

Question of the Week

Does FIDM open a lot of doors when you get to the other end of your major? From @laurenpage (via Twitter)

You have everything you need as a student at FIDM. The resources are endless. There are countless people at FIDM working alongside you and willing to help you. But you can’t wait for them to come to you. You need to reach out and ask. You need to do your part. FIDM can’t hold your hand to a job interview and talk you through the process. YOU need to nail the interview and land that job. FIDM is there to PREPARE you for those moments. There are opportunities out there. You just got to look and not be too picky. It’s the fashion world, you will need to pay your dues… and work from the ground up. That's that truth.

Personally, I like being at FIDM and using any and everything I can as a student. I am always in the library exploring new books, watching runway tapes, going through the trends report, and surfing all the database subscriptions. I can’t tell you how many times I go to my Student Advisor (in Rm 401)to ask for advice. When I need help, I'm not afraid to email my teacher or stop by during office hours. I also stop by the Personal Counselor’s office to talk things out. I heart Shannon and Jessica. They are so sweet. The Career Center (Suite 202) is where I go to talk to my advisor about jobs, internships, and resume help. I also find so many cool perks there on their Career Buzz board (and through the student portal). Fashion show opportunities are always coming up. I have volunteered close to 10 shows if not more during my time at FIDM… and let me tell you, the networking opportunity is priceless. I have met so many amazing people and made so many cool industry connections.  So to answer your question, YES, FIDM will open a lot of doors for you in the end. 

xoxo, TFL

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home